Sunday, March 28, 2010

Shrimp & Corn Chowder with Fennel

Hi y'all. Lately I've been in a food rut. As a mother of 5 children who never seem to eat the same things, meal time is my least favorite time of day. It seems I'm so busy making the kids what they want {or will eat} that I'm just too tired to try anything else different. And the sad thing is that I L♥VE to cook. And I mean L♥VE! One of my favorite channels is the Food Network, but while being a domestic engineer and running Crimson Clover, I haven't had too many dates with Mr. TV lately. But I got inspired today (must be the weather) to try a new recipe with some different ingredients that I normally wouldn't use. And I love any recipe that allows me to use my fabulous and huge robins egg blue cast iron pot!

So here is a Shrimp & Corn Chowder with Fennel. It literally took me 30 minutes to make! Bonus!! Scroll down for the recipe...

Saute leeks and fennel in butter.....yum! Loving my vintage Texasware bowl to use as my "garbage" bowl! Thank you Miss Rachael Ray! You rock!!

Add clam juice, whole milk, and potatoes


Jumbo shrimp



Voila!!



Decided to make some beer bread to go along with it!


Ingredients:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 leeks (white & light green parts) chopped
1 fennel bulb, chopped
Kosher salt and black pepper
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 8 ounce bottle clam juice
3 cups whole milk
1 pound potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" pieces
3/4 pound cooked peeled and deveined shrimp
1 10-ounce package frozen corn
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  1. Heat the butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks and fennel, season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 4 to 5 minutes; stir in the flour

Add the clam juice, milk, and potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 12 minutes. Stir in shrimp and corn and cook until the potatoes are tender and the shrimp and corn are heated through, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley and lemon juice. Serve with bread, if using.


bon appetit!!

tia & andrea


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails