So the girls in my craft group and I made this variation of subway art. You can buy canvases at your local craft store, but I just used a canvas that I had on hand. It just wasn't my style anymore so I decided to up cycle it.
1. First, you Mod Podge vintage paper to your canvas and let it dry. We used several coats.
2. Then you can use either scrapbook alphabet stickers or vinyl stickers and place them on the canvas. I used large 4" vinyl stickers.
3. Then you just paint over the entire canvas (I used those little acrylic paint bottles and a foam brush). I used a robins egg blue and then a dry brush of gray to give more of a rustic feel.
4. Once the paint is dry, carefully pull off the letters. If some paint has seeped through, you can use a damp Q-tip to clean up the edges of your letters.
5. I went back a few days later and added a couple of tissue paper flowers and it's now perfect in my studio.