Sunday, September 16, 2012

Burlap football

Tia and I both went to college at Marshall University in Huntington, WV and we love our Thundering Herd Football!!!! I normally decorate my porch with pumpkins and mums but this year I added wanted to add something football related since it cant be fall without football. Right? :)

I made this football hanging for my front door. I used things that I already had in my craft room. Yay!!!!! for reusing some of my craft supplies. :)
These are the supplies that I used:
Burlap
Sharpie marker
scissors
brown and white acrylic craft paint
foam paint brush
rounded paint brush
glue gun and glue sticks
tissue paper
assortment of ribbons
ric-rac trim
I didn't take pictures of the process this time. :( I do promise that it only took me about 30 minutes to make and it was very easy.
I used some scrap burlap fabric to make the football. I used the regular burlap tan color. I'm pretty sure that Hobby lobby has brown burlap that you can get but I just wanted to use up what I already had. First thing that I did was drew freehand a football shape using a sharpie marker. Mine isn't perfect but I think that it looks fine. I cut out the football shape and retraced it on another piece of burlap. I cut out the second football so that I would have two identical pieces of burlap shaped like footballs. I painted the burlap with the brown paint and to make this process even faster I just squirted the paint directly to the burlap and spread it with the foam paint brush. I thought about sewing the burlap together but that would mean getting out my sewing machine and that would be to much work. I used my glue gun and glued the two pieces of burlap together leaving the top open.
While the painted burlap was drying, I made the ribbon bow hanger for the top.
I took strips of ribbon and ric-rac that went together to make the "bow" at the top. I left the long black and white polka dot ribbon a bit longer to connect it to the football. I wrapped the ribbons with the black and white polka dot ribbon. I glued the ribbon inplace with hot glue.
Once the brown paint was dry, painted the football stiches usisng white paint. I glued some black ric-rac to the football to add a little detail.
I stuffed the burlap with crumpled up tissue paper before I glue the ribbons to the football before I glue it the rest of the way closed.

GO HERD!!!!!!!
Andrea & Tia


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails