Thursday, November 11, 2010

Door for hope

November is Pancreatic Cancer Awareness month along with Juvenile Diabetes Month.
I was asked by a friend of mine from school that is asking everybody to "paint" their door purple during the month of November for awareness. In January of this year she lost her mother, Sherry Shumaker to Pancreatic Cancer. This month she wanted everyone to decorate their front door for awareness and to show support to those affected by this cancer. So I created this wreath for my front door.

I wanted to add some orange and greens for the season. The leaves also made it more seasonal too but still kept the majority of it focusing on the purple.


I used a green Styrofoam wreath as the base. I covered in in burlap fabric that I cut in to strips and wrapped around the wreath. I created all the flowers from scrapbook paper then scored and folded the paper to form the flowers. I added buttons and burlap circles to create the center. I die cut leaves and added some distressing ink on the leaves for some texture. Then I layered the flowers to create the surface of the wreath. I added a berry wreath behind it to add some more texture. I am so pleased with the way that it turned out. I can see myself making one in Christmas colors for next month. :)


Check back this weekend I will post a tutorial on how to make the flowers.
Thanks for looking!!!


Andrea





6 comments:

  1. I am madly in love with this! What a cute and clever idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Andrea! The colors are so vibrant and it holds alot of meaning for those affected by these illnesses. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, sis in law!!! I absolutely love it and love what it stands for. You need to make me one in shades of gray for juvenile diabetes...hint hint ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend of mine just sent me the link to Crimson Clover to like on FB..I'm so glad she did!! My daughter was dxd when she was 6 in 2006. We walk in her honor every October in the Ron Santo Walk To Cure Diabetes and will do so until a cure is found! I passed along your fb page to my online diabetes support group Touched By Type 1 which is also on FB! Can't wait to see what kind of piece you design for this November!!

    Kim Janowiak

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails